Friday, October 03, 2008

Moab and My Birthday


HAHA! Ok who wants to hear a funny story? I had this whole huge thing typed out and then my computer froze Internet explorer, so here I am typing it again. It probably won't be as good though. I just wanted to thank everyone who wished me a happy birthday/etc, because it was greatly appreciated. I would write everyone individually thank you notes, but I am so busy right now its surprising. I am currently participating in a nationwide contest with Maybelline New York (the make-up company) to design a new fragrance for them (their first). I, along with a team, have to design the bottle, the fragrance name, the concept, I have to market it, advertise it and present it. If our team makes it through the prelims we have to present it with other teams to Loreal right here on campus, and we all get job/internship interviews with the company. Also, whoever wins at BYU gets to go to the national competition in New York, where we meet with a prestegious Ad Agency (McCann Ericson) and Maybelline New York. The winners there go to Paris in June. Last year BYU swept it all, including Paris (international). So if anyone has any ideas for a brand new fragrance, or a fragrance bottle, or any of the above, let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am currently working on a campaign for the BYU Museum of Art, also known around here as the MOA. We are trying to get students to find the MOA exciting and give them a reason to go. We have been working on it for about two weeks and it is due on Monday, so I have a lot to do this weekend. Also, the same teacher that is having us do the MOA project, gave us the word refreshing and told us to make a magazine ad around it. So, I've been working on that as well, and it is due Monday. Hopefully it turns out good. I will post the projects on here so those of you who don't get to see "my work" as often, get to see it. Also, I got to go to Moab last weekend as a much needed break from school. It is beautiful down there. I went to arches and canyonlands. When we were in canyonlands it was storming, but half of the sky was light, so it was unbelieveable. Definitely one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. Anyways, I probably should be doing all this homework that I'm talking about, considering that that is only for 2 classes and I have five, and of course all the other teachers think I should do their homework too :( YIKES! OH well, I love my major and I'm glad I found something that I can actually excel at and feel comfortable doing. Oh yeah the international winner of that contest gets 15000 dollars to "travel." I'm not sure what that means, but, I think you have to use the money to see the world. Which, is not really a bad deal :) but it will definitely take a really genious idea and a lot of hard work to get there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

one of the guys who won the Loriel thing 2 years ago came to my Into-Ad class and talked about the contest. It sounded really cool and I was going to ask if you were doing it. Obviously you are. It was kind of a waste of class time for me though considering...

Jeff Rothert said...

good luck Heidi. It is good to hear what you are doing. We love you.